Tuesday 19 November 2019

Getting Karanjified – Then and still !!!!





Come Diwali and I have a lot of lovely memories of delicious sweets and savories being made not only in my home but also my neighbor’s homes.  I remember my mom used to tell me I used to hop around all homes (having been brought up in a typical Bombay chawl – where the doors used to close only during the night time).  There was free flow of people walking into each other’s homes and checking out what was cooking or made.  Difficult to imagine if I could now relive that moment again.  Not quite sure on that!.

One such sweet that I really used to look forward to eating was at one of my Maharashtrian friend’s home and that was Karanji.  I loved the shape and the ease at which Mangodkar maavshi used to make these.  I sat at her place (never ever bothering if my friend Poornima was around)- I danced to the kitchen and saw how maavshi made the filling for the karanji.  Also remembering, that my mom made laddoos both of rava and pulses, then mysorepak and coconut barfi.  But never ventured to try this lovely delicacy.

Maavshi told me that this is a pure Maharashtrian sweet and that’s the reason amma did not make it.  Anyways, I wasn’t much bothered as I knew she would definitely send a good amount home.  I remember me telling her that I love karanjis.  Sweet as she was, she said “Ho ga, mee tujha ghari pathavnaar.  Tension gheu nako”).  Yes, one major hurdle was covered.  Surely, these sweet dumplings are going to land in my home.

I gazed at the ease at which she mixed the filling for the karanjis.  It was rava, coconut, jiggery, kismis and few dryfruits along with cardamom powder. They looked just so beautiful on the big plate that she had laid down and side by side made the covering of the Karanjis with maida.  The covering just romanced the filling so beautifully and it’s a visual delight to see the outer design (interwoven with such dexterity).  But that’s not all, these lovely dumplings now had to be fried using some precision so that they do not splutter out, lest the filling would spill out spoiling the entire dish.

Even now, I can visualize the tensed brows of maushi till she fried these. It seemed to me like a T20 match between INDIA and PAKISTAN, with just one over left and 6 runs needed.  In fact, much more tension filled than those.  The karanjis were waiting to get karanjified, there they went into the oil and guess what, it didn’t splutter.  The child that I was, I screamed in happiness as if those were fried by me.  The scene was anywhere like INDIA winning against PAKISTAN, the joy and happiness incomparable.  Maavshi, let out a sigh of relief, yes, the filling was intact and the karnjis were golden brown just so perfect. AND I WAS HAPPY!!!!  She immediately offered it to Padurang (an idol on their Devsthal) and then called out to me “AATA KHAAON BAGH” (not you can eat these).

With a patient waiting of more than two hours or more, atlast she offered me the lovely karanjis, and sabar ka phal meetha hota hai, sorry Karanji hota hai.  So yes, I was karanjified and I loved it.
I still love these and everytime someone offers me a karanji, it takes me back to those lovely days and lucky as I have always been, I always get to have a bite of these.

Love

Rekha

No comments:

Post a Comment