Thursday 10 October 2013

Spring cleaning your mind – Diwali around the corner

Hi folks ! With Diwali just round the corner, we are going to get busy shopping for stuff, decorative material, shop for clothes and most importantly, spring cleaning and of course preparation of the sweets and savories ( I truly love Diwali for this). Come Diwali time, many of the womenfolk here have a sudden outburst of love pouring out (specially for our maid servant). This is when we see her in all forms and the most adoring form that we would love to connect is in the form of Durga (with all her ten hands) helping us out.  This is also the time the Durgaroopini (“Bai” in Mumbai) also attains her Durga form and throws all the possible tantrums and conveniently will skip a day or two just when you NEED her the most (pun intended). 

I have slowly got out of this “Bai syndrome” as my Bai has ditched me on a number of occasions, for reasons only known to her. This is more so when there are so many back to back festivals like Ganesh Chaturthi, Navratri, Diwali and so on and it is ME who takes the form of Durga literally at such times (by hubby would surely second this). Getting back to spring cleaning, here’s what I feel.

We want out homes to be sparkling clean, spic and tidy.  We tend to change the furniture, furnishings and most of all the colours of our walls as and when there is a festive season approaching. But how many times have we tried to change the colour of our thoughts, ideas.  Very few times ! Somehow, many amongst us are happy and carry alongwith us the same grudges and beliefs.  I didn’t know when I read somewhere that people love to be depressed; in fact, they love to be in a state of sadness.  This can be quite dreary. Just take a minute to think about how your beautiful heart and mind would look when it has only one colour to it. It could get so very boring. So let’s add new colour to our minds.  Just like how a painter goes about scrubbing the walls and getting rid of the old colour, let’s just scrub away those not so good thoughts from our minds. 

Once we get rid of the old belief systems, you can then add a new and fresh colour.  Even thinking about this makes me feel SO SO HAPPY. So let’s spring clean our mind by throwing away all those junk thoughts that have done us no good. It has simply rusted within and has made us all the more boring and static in our life approach. 

Let’s make an attempt to scrap a not so good habit which has not been of much help or has not added much of value to our lives.  Let’s get rid of relationships that drain us and that are toxic. I have always truly believed that the less stuff you have and you collect, there is lesser strain on your mind. There are fewer burdens on my minds and fewer things to be discarded.  There is more time which can be fruitfully devoted to things other than cleaning and scrubbing which can truly guzzle up your time. 

Hey folks!  But I should admit that I simply love cleaning and keeping my home spic and span. It gives me a sense of peace and I feel absolutely connected and at peace with myself.  I do it with all my heart and of course with my hands.

So get ready to usher the beautiful festival of lights by buying some wonderful diyas (lets all try to make less noise by investing in noiseless crackers).  Diwali is a festival of lights, so LESS NOISE PLEASE.

Signing off for now,

Luv

Rekha



No comments:

Post a Comment